Wednesday 19 March 2014

A Piece of Middle Earth


It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish.” 


I have a few friends who are big fans of The Lord of the Rings. 
I often hear them humming the movie score, quoting epic speeches or discussing their favorite characters. 
For the most part, I enjoy these encounters and participate with a smile. So it was rather a shock for my friends to discover that I had never actually read the books. It's not that I never had the intention,  all four books have been sitting on my shelf for the past few years ready to read - I just never felt particularly compelled to read them with any urgency.

Recently a friend challenged me  to read the Lord of the Rings trilogy, as well as The Hobbit by J. R. R Tolkien. In exchange, he has agreed to read 5 Jane Austen books - you're welcome ladies! I guess this was the motivation I needed to actually start the epic tale. So far, I have finished The Hobbit and am only half way through the Fellowship of the Ring; therefore I am in no position to write a review or comment on the quality of the books. 

I write this post because a certain quote captured my attention. 

Gandalf and Frodo are having a conversation about some of the more nasty, evil characters that are involved in the Lord of the Rings journey, when this comment is made: 


"He deserves Death" 

"Deserves it! I daresay he does.
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. 
Can you give it to them? 
Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement, 
for even the wise cannot see all ends." 


I don't know exactly why this quote stood out so much. 
Maybe it's the truth of the statement. There are so  many innocent people who have died, and perhaps died doing noble things. Yet in this world there is still so many who live that continue to chose an evil path. 
Maybe its contrasts our ideas if justice and judgement. Who are we to take a life when we have no power to give it back? 
Who has the ability to conquer death and give life? 

In any case, these characters in The Lord of the Rings seem to think that it is better to treat even their enemies with mercy and grace. 

What a beautiful piece of wisdom to encounter. 


Elise 





No comments:

Post a Comment